Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Happy New Year

Haven't blogged in ages. Out of the habit I guess. Xmas was OK. A little depressing after the death of my aunt, but my family was all together (Mom, Dad and Stepmom) for the first time since my parents' divorce.

My Dad was so nice to my Mom and very considerate about Aunt Martha. Not long after we arrived at my sister's (for Xmas dinner), he proposed a toast to the memory of my aunt -- everyone ended up in tears -- and at the end of the evening as we said our goodbyes he gave the warmest hug to my Mom. It was nice to see them bond again after a long time. I know my Dad liked my aunt a lot and he's sorry to lose her just like the rest of us.

The drive to Denver was a bit stressful as there was a big snowstorm on the passes in western Utah that I had to traverse in the dead of night. Not fun. I took the southern route on the way back, through New Mexico and Arizona and had a lovely time. No problems at all. Had sweet Chukes with me the whole trip and she was a dream. Never known a dog as nice and sweet and smart as she is. She's almost like a person; she really understands what you say to her.

Been having fun this week compiling a collection of my favorite songs from the 1980s. This started out as just a lark to make a CD of a dozen or more songs from the era. But as I began downloading and listening to these old tunes, I kept remembering other ones from the era. Then I sent an email to potentially interested parties and asked for their favorite tracks from the era. Then I had all these great ideas for songs that I had forgotten, so I've been downloading and searching ever since. So far there are over 100 songs on my list!! There's no way I can make "a" CD to cover all of those, unless I burn an MP3 CD, which I probably will for me and anyone else who wants one and can play them. If only my car would play MP3 CDs....ach!

Well, it has been tremendously fun to hear those old songs again. So many memories came back! It was also very funny at times to hear what was popular 20 years ago. I was expecting a lot of cheesiness and schmaltz, but I've been suprised at the quality of some of the music. A lot of it holds up pretty well. The "cringe factor" has been minimal. Can't wait to get the project finished.

UCLA Extension is in terrible straits -- the lowest enrollment I've ever seen. A lot of teachers are out of work. Tough times for workers who deal with the international community. The government is making more difficult for international visitors to come here; therefore, no students. I've been looking earnestly for degree programs I can get into fast to advance my education. Need to find more sources of income.

Well off to work now....

No comments: