Friday, January 30, 2004

Cell Phones (continued)

My sister Sherea had a great response to my cell phone rant yesterday:

"How about the time I was at Burger King in line during my very limited lunch break and this guy couldn't get off of his cell phone long enough to place his combo meal order! Or what gets me is the "hands free" set ups.....I'm working at St. Nicks and this lady comes up to check out, I say hello to her and ask how she's doing....she starts talking somewhat randomly and by the timing I think this is her response (very odd!) and then I realize she's on the cell phone talking to someone (her mother I think) and not even paying attention to the live people right in front of her. Then she asks a question, I didn't realize it was for me for a minute, so then she's trying to carry on two separate conversations at the same time! It was just awful! I so badly wanted to say why don't you call her back after the five minutes it will take for us to finish your transaction....she never got off the phone. My "thank you and have a nice day" was responded to with, "Uh huh, well I know, because that's how she is" or something to that effect.

I think that cell phones are just another contributor to the impersonal and rude behavior that is perpetuated by today's technology. People are more comfortable "chatting" with a stranger online than they are speaking to a family member or a friend face to face. It's ridiculous....convenient yes....but ridiculous!"

No comments: