Sunday, January 25, 2004

Cool Party

Had fun at a party last night. A former co-worker recently moved into my neighborhood and he called yesterday afternoon to invite me to a little get-together at the new digs.

It was designed to be a "pot luck" but I didn't know what to bring so I ordered a pizza and picked it up on the way. I felt kind of cheap doing that, but boy was it a good idea. Instantly I was everybody's friend!

Mark lives with two young ladies and they are very cute and charming. I was quite a bit older than most of the people there, but I didn't mind it. It was fun to joke and laugh with them and to watch them play and flirt with each other, and with me. I am not at all the partying type and I usually avoid gatherings of strangers, but last night I felt very much at ease.

The apartment is really cool, built a hundred years ago Mark said, and they have a roof-top patio with decent views of the Hollywood hills. The patio was definitely the cool place to hang out, and the weather cooperated beautifully. There are some times when it's really fun to live in Hollywood.

The party carried on for several hours, with much imbibing of various intoxicants. I find myself in a funny frame of mind in such circumstances when it becomes clear to me that everyone is speaking and acting from their subconscious. Physical barriers relax and our behavior reveals our inner thoughts. Luckily, everyone there was thinking happy, frisky things.

Eventually I reached my fill of frolicking and excused myself to walk home, pausing for several warm hugs on the way out. It was a lovely party and Mark told me his sweet roommates had made an executive decision that I needed to come over more often! Delightful.

Strolling home past Melrose I was flattered again by a black man in a small SUV who pulled up toward the curb and asked for "directions." In honor of dear Stennie, here is the Actual Conversation:

Guy: Hey, you know where's Santa Monica?
Me: Excuse me?
Guy: You know which way to Santa Monica? (meaning the Blvd - the gay pick up zone)
Me: (thinking for a moment, then pointing north) That way.
Guy: (disappointed) OK.

He turns his car around, then calls to me again.

Guy: Hey, you like to get high?
Me: (smiling) Uh, no thanks, man.
Guy: Oh, too bad. 'Cause you look GOOD!
Me: (chuckling) Thanks. You do too.

Scene.

That was a nice capper to the evening. I enjoyed the attention I received all night, and as tempting as some of the prospects were, I felt completely comfortable leaving alone.

It's great to feel attractive (especially so soon after the "German Rejection"), but I was satisfied to spend a pleasant evening with some sweet and cute young people and I look forward to the next occasion.

No comments: