Monday, September 01, 2003

Hi there! Been a while since I last blogged, so I thought I'd update you on what's going on in my life. I know, I know...you must be breathless with anticipation....

I am so happy today that my computer is finally updated with Windows XP and I installed a new hard drive and an extra memory card and I did it all by myself! :-) Well, almost by myself. I couldn't have done it without the excellent advice and coaching of my friend Heidster. She's quite a computer geek herself and now I'm becoming one. She turned me on the blogging and now she's hooked me on the upgrade roadway.

It's a ton of fun - and frustration - to upgrade your own computer, especially something as drastic as installing a new hard drive. There's a lot of mystery involved too in getting it set just right and converting the older drive to a slave and so forth. Lots of technical stuff I don't know about, but I just used common sense and some counseling from Heidster and now I'm all set. So far! Everything is just back online this evening so I can't say it's all perfect yet.

Had to buy a new mouse, too, which is a bit of a drag since I loved my old IBM optical mouse. But it's not compatible with XP so there you go. Had to dig deep and shell out for a new Microsoft optical mouse. It's cute, but it's not quite as comfortable in the hand as my old mouse. Alas!

In other news, I haven't checked in with Mom to see how's she doing with the move to Houston. Last I heard she was packing up and moving her stuff to storage and planning to be out by the first of the month. That's today! My sister Sherea said Mom will stay with her a couple of nights and then head down to Texas on Wednesday. Too bad I'm going to miss her. I'll be in Denver the following week. Ugh. Well I feel sorry for her having to go through with this and for the impending loss of her big sister. That can't be any fun at all. My Mom will get through it though. She's a pretty tough cookie.

Oh well, that's all for now I guess. Now that I've got the new OS running and the hard drive, I have to reinstall a lot of programs and get used to the new system. Gotta start working on my website too. Only have the domain in place so far, nothing much to see yet. Not sure the purpose for it actually besides just the fun of doing it. But it would be cool to have some place online where I can express myself creatively and keep a personal web presence active. Let everyone know what's going on with me. Could have practical applications as well, such as keeping important documents all in one place. And there's tons of possibilities to do with my teaching. Who know?!

I made a pretty strong resolution over the weekend. Happy Labor Day by the way. I've decided I've got to go back to school and finish my degree. Just got to do it. I've been saying that for years and pining for it, but I haven't taken any action. Now I realize if I don't do it soon then I will never do it and it will be too late. It's not getting any easier and it will only get harder. And I don't need anything in my life to get harder, believe me! So I'm gonna do it. Not sure yet where I'll go or what I'll do -- may end up back in Denver, in fact, if necessary. Maybe I'll take some time to visit my old stoppin' ground in Denver when I'm there in September and just see what it would take to finish there. Surely they would accept original credits. I'd have to do some catch up, but it might be faster/easier than starting completely over in another state system like CSU or UC. We'll see....

Getting excited about Breckenridge. It's going to be a nice setting to relax in, although I know we'll feel nervous when it's time to show the film. Randy is going to be climbing the walls I know it. So will I probably. I just hope the film is ready and as complete as Randy wants it to be. I sure hope the audience enjoys it too. It's a pretty good film if you understand the premise. I'm not sure how many people outside of Hollywood know the whole Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game. I'm just looking forward to seeing the movie "finished" and screened before a public audience.

Anyway, that's more than enough for now. I "must to bed" as Shakespeare might say...if he could say anything, the poor beggar. Been watching a bit of "All Creatures Great and Small" on DVD (thanks R & H). Brings back a lot of memories. Tea and Mrs. Hall and Tricky Woo and "this 'orse ain't runnin' on nought but three cylinders" and all of that. Good stuff!

No comments: