Tuesday, September 30, 2003

The verdict is in.....or at least over. Yep, we finished our deliberations and rendered our verdicts (3 of them) this morning. I was the foreperson and I did a good job of herding the cats so that we could finish our duty before lunch time! Even the other jurors congratulated me on a job well done. It felt strange to hear to judge and the court recorder recite my name as they read the verdicts.

As much of a hassle as this experience has been, I'm glad I did it. It was very educational to see our system in process and it felt good to be a part of that process, and to fulfill my civic duty. Certainly there are weaknesses to our judicial system, but overall I'm impressed with its efficiency and its fairness.

The challenge to the jurors was to remain dispassionate observers to this whole thing and we did that, although we often had to remind ourselves of that perspective during the deliberations.

Anyway, as the judge said, "same time, next year?" :-) We're excused from service for at least 12 months, but we will probably all be called again. I wouldn't mind doing it again if I were called, as long as I can schedule it during a time when there is no class.

Speaking of which, I talked with my supervisor at UCLA today and I have a decent schedule for this month. Not completely full, but certainly enough to keep me busy and financially supported.

Now I'm on my way to Randy's house for a little birthday celebration for our dear friend Heidster. I only hope I can make it there before I run out of gasoline -- I'm running on fumes!

No comments: