Friday, May 25, 2007

A Long Time Ago...A New Hope



It was 30 years ago today that my life changed forever. I was seven years old and living with my family in the small city of Lubbock, Texas. There was a new movie showing in our tiny local movie house.

Although I didn't know much about this new film (or any movies in general), my neighbor buddies had already seen the movie several times when they invited me to go with them to see it again. My dad gave me the two bucks to buy a movie ticket and my friends' mom drove us to the theater and dropped us off. It was my first time to see a movie without my parents!

We arrived a little late and the movie was just starting. The only seats available were front row center. So we made our way down the aisle and plopped into our seats just as the first scene began. A huge spaceship (menacingly called a "Star Destroyer") roared across the screen as if from above. My jaw dropped and I was completely transfixed for the next two hours.

Like most young kids my age, I became a huge fan of the Star Wars films. I saw all the movies multiple times at the theater (this was before home video, remember?) and I had a huge collection of toys, games, and memorabilia from the films. Sadly, not much of this collection remains except for one prized toy: a Yoda puppet from the second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back.



I also had the original soundtrack album of the movie score featuring the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by John Williams. I loved the music from Star Wars and listened to that soundtrack album for hours. My favorite tracks were "Ben's Theme" and the "Cantina Band" from the bar in Mos Eisley space port. Even today if I hear the music from Star Wars, I can recite every line of dialog from the film and hum practically every note along with the orchestra!

I also had a very cool record album called The Story of Star Wars, which featured music and dialog from the film along with narration to tell a condensed version of the story. I played that record ad nauseum, probably wearing out the vinyl in the process. Luckily a few years ago, I found a copy of the record in mint condition, which I had imported from Japan. A kind friend helped transfer the audio from the vinyl to CD so I could hear it since I don't currently have a turntable.


Who could have known 30 years ago what a huge influence Star Wars would become, not only on cinema but on worldwide popular culture? It has become an international, multi-generational phenomenon.
The film had a tremendous impact on me. Not only did I become a Star Wars fan, I also grew to love movies in general, and particularly film music. I also learned to use my imagination and to wonder what could be out there in the stars, "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...."

Thank you, Star Wars, and May the Force be with you!

1 comment:

S~ said...

We watched "A New Hope" in celebration of the annversary and after his first viewing of "Star Wars" your 3 year old nephew said, "pretty cool!"