Sunday, May 06, 2007

I Love Dreamgirls


I may be totally queer, but I love the film Dreamgirls. I just watched it again on DVD and loved it even more than when I saw it on the big screen at the Cinerama Dome back in December. It's almost a modern opera, with high drama, intrigue, romance, treachery, death, and balls-to-the-wall kick-ass singing by all the stars.

The movie features excellent cinematography and production design, and the costumes are great -- very evocative of the period. The acting is also brilliant, particularly Jennifer's Hudson's breakout, Oscar-winning perfomance in the pivotal role of Effie. She really made a good film great. Her voice is so perfect, my eyes start to well up every time she sings.

I'm amazed this film wasn't a bigger hit. It seems to have something for everyone, so give it a shot if you haven't seen it. You might be surprised how much you enjoy it!

2 comments:

S~ said...

I wasn't surprised by how much I enjoyed this film, but I was seriously dissapointed that I didn't have a chance to see it at the theater. I was so dissapointed when it ended!! It was a fabulous movie, entertaining to the very end and deserving of all its accolades. As far as Jennifer Hudson as "Effie"...I am gonna love you!!!

S~ said...

I wasn't surprised by how much I enjoyed this film, but I was seriously dissapointed that I didn't have a chance to see it at the theater. I was so dissapointed when it ended!! It was a fabulous movie, entertaining to the very end and deserving of all its accolades. As far as Jennifer Hudson as "Effie"...I am gonna love you!!!