Monday, June 07, 2004

Memories of Reagan

These are my most vivid memories of President Ronald Reagan:

"Are you better off now than four years ago?"

Split-screen TV image of Iran hostages being released as Reagan took the oath of office.

Reaganomics.

"Honey, I forgot to duck!"

The cowboy riding horses on the ranch.

Recession. Deficits. National Debt.

"Well...." Johnny Carson's hilarious impersonation on countless episodes of The Tonight Show.

Jelly beans.

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Calling Nancy "Mommy"

Removal of several polyps.

"We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to touch the face of God."

Nancy Reagan's astrologer.

Just Say No.

"I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

"I have no recollection..." (of approving arms shipments to Iran.)

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

"My fellow Americans, I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease...I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."

The Great Communicator.

No comments: