Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Reading and the Average Joe

Been reading more recently. Feels great. Still enjoying the hell out of Dracula, and I've finally started Randy's latest script (Elvis in Alaska). I'm about thirty pages in and it's just amazing. My friend's a fucking genius.

I read today in a magazine and heard again on television that advertisers and network execs are panicking because young men (the most coveted demographic) have basically stopped watching TV. No wonder why: there's absolute crap on TV these days -- and that's an insult to crap!

Actually, one show that does tickle me a little is NBC's newest "reality" dating show, Average Joe. A fabulous blonde has to decide her true love from a motley assortment of nerds, geeks, and fat guys....each with a heart of gold! :-)

Unfortunately, the blonde bimbo cut the most popular player, Dennis, last night, so there's little reason left to watch. It was such a let-down when he was cut, not just for the viewing audience but for the other guys playing on the program as well. Dennis was like the team mascot. He was everybody's favorite and some of the guys were actually weeping as Dennis gave his hugs goodbye. It was quite extraordinary.

Some of the quotes from competitors were comments like, "He's the kindest human being I've ever known" and "Dennis made me a better man." Incredible! If all the other guys agree this was the best man on the show, then why the fuck should anyone tune in next week?!

Ah well, back to my reading....

No comments: