Saturday, November 01, 2003

All Hallow's Eve

Yesterday was a quiet Halloween for me. Had my afternoon class at UCLA as usual, except I appeared in my Elvis costume to the great delight and laughter of my students and co-workers. I also brought some candy so the kids could play "trick or treat." It was fun, but pretty low-key since most of the school was empty on Friday afternoon and in fact only about half of my students showed up for class.

After work, I chilled for a while (no really, it was quite cool in LA yesterday) and had a burrito at Baja Fresh before meeting my friend Heidster for a movie at the UCLA Film and Television Archives. We went to see "The Ghostbreakers" from 1940, starring Bob Hope in a spooky comedic thriller. The film actually wasn't that funny, although there were a few good laughs. Bob Hope was trying to make weak material work. The highlight of the film for me was the gorgeous Paulette Goddard, who must have had the prettiest smile in all of Hollywood. She was just lovely.

This screening was part of UCLA's Archive Treasures series, which is intended to recreate a night at the movies from the classic Hollywood era. So there were several selections on the program before the feature, including a cartoon, a newsreel, etc. It was a fun idea. The most stirring film for me was a short film saluting the courage and determination of the people of London as they went about their daily lives during the height of the Nazi blitz. This seemed all the more poignant in light of 9/11 and the current state of terrorism in the world, but it reinforced my awareness that modern Americans really don't understand war. Most of us have never lived through it ourselves nor seen its devastation on our own lands. It's no wonder the Europeans are so opposed to any violent conflict after seeing what they went through during the early 20th century.

The rain had started to fall in Los Angeles (I know -- rain in LA?!) around dinner time and by the time we got out of the movie, it was coming down pretty good. Although it was early, only 9:30pm, it felt like midnight to me so I hurried home (well, I tried to hurry) since I realized Lousy was stuck outside in the rain.

The Halloween traffic was pretty bad as usual, especially since the West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval was underway just up the street on Santa Monica Blvd. I tried to avoid it as much as I could by sticking south on Wilshire, but the ripple effect was taking its toll. Actually, the traffic could have been a lot worse, but since it was raining heavily, some revelers may have stayed away. I'm sure the rain didn't dampen the spirits of all the WeHo drag queens who live for this night when they can parade themselves out in all their glory!! :-)

It was raining so hard when I got home. It was wonderful, except I got soaked just from the short walk, or run in this case, from the garage to my door. Poor little Lousy was crouching miserably in my parking space when I arrived. "Meow, meow," he whined pathetically. I picked him up and hid him in my coat as I ran to my door.

Once inside, I made sure the cats were dry and warm and well-fed. Then I cranked up the electric blanket on the bed -- it was frigid in my room -- and since it was a dark and stormy night, I finally cracked open Bram Stoker's "Dracula," which I bought weeks ago but hadn't started yet.

I only got through about 25 pages before nodding off, but what I read was really great. I think it's going to be a fun read. Perfect for a dark and stormy night.

Happy Hallowe'en!

No comments: