Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Wheh! Just got finished with teaching for the day. My English Online class (EOL) is always challenging, but a lot of fun, too. The test is to keep it communicative so that students don't become so absorbed in their computers that they forget to practice speaking English with their classmates.

We're pretty far into building our own webpages. I think the class was surprised by how easy it was to get started on the Internet, but also how challenging it is to make a sophisticated webpage. And we're taking baby steps here, believe me!

It's also challenging as a teacher because each student progresses at their own level, both with the language and with the computer skills. So I have to really monitor individual students to make sure they are not too bored or not too overwhelmed, depending on their individual abilities.

So Thursday, I would like to finish up the webpages for a while and let them try something a little different. I don't want to overdo it with webpages, although it is addictive stuff and one can easily get lost in the process for hours on end. I can only imagine what it will be like for me when I start building my own "real" web pages for scottydude.com. I'm way excited about that -- but daunted as well. (Is daunted an adjective?)

Oh God, I can never turn off my teacher brain!! :-)

No comments: