Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day



Every day after work at UCLA, I drove home via Veteran Avenue towards Sunset Blvd. This stretch of Veteran runs beside the Los Angeles National Cemetery, and I am struck every time by the thousands upon thousands of white marble gravestones blanketing the lush green landscape.

It's a sobering vision, and it makes me realize how many brave and dedicated men and women, and their families, have made the ultimate sacrifice just so I can enjoy the freedom of opportunity this country offers as well as the right to criticize my nation when it fails to live up to its potential.

This is a luxury I do not take for granted, and I want to express my sincere gratitude to every person serving in our armed forces here at home and around the world. We love you, we support you, and we hope you return home safe and soon.

No comments: