Monday, January 05, 2009

The Notorious Bettie Page


Do yourself a favor, and watch a movie called The Notorious Bettie Page, a thrilling biopic about a fascinating American icon. Gretchen Mol dazzles in the role of a wholesome Southern girl who goes to New York with dreams of acting, but instead becomes an infamous pinup girl before redeeming her life through her Christian faith.

I first became aware of this movie a few months before they released it in theaters because one of my students played a small role in the story as a guy Bettie picks up at the beach. He's a cute Venezuelan named Alejandro Chaban. I finally rented it on Netflix after remembering the recent passing of Miss Page.

The film does a great job of catching the 1950s period by using black & white and color film, plus great costumes and production design, and a swinging period musical soundtrack. Mol is truly adorable as Bettie, both the wholesome girl next door and the vivacious nude vixen. She shows us everything, too. Ay-chee-wah-wah! I took lots of pictures of the TV.

By the way, the movie is really good if you're into light bondage. Gretchen, please call me...


The trailer for the movie



A two-minute video of photos of Bettie Page (be sure to watch until the last one!)

1 comment:

S~ said...

Thank you for reminding me of this... I really wanted to see this film! Adding it to my Netflix queue right now!