Friday, December 09, 2005

I Touched a Coppola



As if meeting Bruce Vilanch were not enough (!), I ran into Jason Schwartzman at Peet's Coffee in Westwood this morning. Although not a household name, Jason Schwartzman
is the young star of Shopgirl (he stole the movie) and I Heart Huckabees, but he's perhaps best remembered for his brilliantly refreshing performance in Wes Anderson's Rushmore.

I had just ordered my cup of coffee when he appeared in line behind me, wearing a green T-shirt and a scruffy full beard. In ultra-cool LA fashion, I simply acknowledged him and said "I'm a big fan." He brightened and responded, "Thanks man, awesome!" which, if you've seen any of his movies, sounds exactly like him.

I grabbed my coffee and moved on, but it was only a few minutes later I remembered that besides being and up-and-comer himself, he's also the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola and the son of Talia Shire.

Oh, and his former band Phantom Planet (whom I saw opening for Elvis Costello a few years ago) recorded the theme song for the hit TV show The O.C.

So there! Now, if I get to see Sydney Pollack tomorrow as scheduled, I'll be three for three!

1 comment:

stennie said...

Oh, man! Wish I'd been there. I would have told him he totally saved Shopgirl.