Saturday, April 02, 2005

El Papa Esta Muerto



Yes, finally Pope John Paul II has passed away. He died earlier today and though we have all been expecting his death for weeks, if not months, it is sad to have the finality of his death.

I am neither Catholic nor a believer, but I did feel a fondness toward John Paul. He always seemed like a decent man, and although I disagreed with him on most social issues, I respected the fact that he never waivered in his convictions.


Oy vey, such problems!

He was the Pope for most of my life; the only Pope I have really ever known. And he was an international superstar due to his extensive travels and his savvy use of the modern media. No Pope has had such a high profile.


Even a Pope has to have a sense of humor.

Pope John Paul visited my hometown, Denver, Colorado, when I was a teenager and it was a huge event for everyone. Most of his activities were covered live on television -- it was a World Youth Day conference -- and I watched most of the events on TV.


Pope John Paul II forgives his would-be assassin, Mehmet Ali Acga, Dec 27, 1983.

There was something very inspiring about his presence and the devotion and affection shown to him by so many millions of people around the world. He was a greatly loved man.

No comments: