Thursday, October 07, 2004

Red Line Tours

Here I am, Scott Hollywood, your personal tour guide to the history behind-the-scenes in "glamorous" Hollywood, California -- home of the stars!

Actually, it's funny to be working in a small family business again after many years in the corporate world and in academia. I had forgotten that small-business employees work as long as there's an opportunity to earn income. Even if you don't get paid, you work. The store stays open as long as there are customers coming in. I finished my last tour an hour ago and I've tried to close up twice since then, but potential customers kept coming in to browse through our giftware and Hollywood memorabilia. So, I let them in an encourage them to take their time shopping. It's not like K-Mart, where you kick everybody out at closing time.

OK, my last group of customers just left. They didn't buy anything. It's just as well, though, since I'm not sure how to conduct a retail transaction yet! I better learn soon though since I'll be on my own for most of this weekend. The boss is on his way to Vancouver for a weekend anniversary celebration, and the other boss will be giving tours downtown at our other location.

So Mr. Scott Hollywood, opportunity knocks: you are in charge of holding down the fort!

No comments: