Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Spalding Gray

Spalding Gray was found dead this week in the East River, an apparent suicide. Sadly, Gray had suffered from depression and mental illness throughout his life, most severely in recent years due to a terrible car accident which seriously injured him.

I saw Spalding Gray in Providence, Rhode Island (his home state) during the Superstar tour. I remember seeing his name on a theater marquee, though I can't remember exactly if it was the same theater we played at or if it was a different theater nearby. It was a cold, slightly snowy Sunday and I was out for some dinner between shows. I found a quiet Italian restaurant with red checkerboard tablecloths and went inside to eat. Mr. Gray was seated at a table behind mine with a few other people, possibly friends or family. As I sat down, our eyes met briefly and I nodded to him in recognition, but I didn't say anything to him as he was deep in conversation with his companions and I didn't want to draw any attention to him. I was wearing my Superstar tour jacket which had my name "Spalding" stitched in gold thread over the left breast. I think he noticed that since he smiled vaguely at me before continuing his conversation.

I'm sorry I missed his show.

No comments: