Sunday, February 08, 2004

Bowie in LA, part 4

Wiltern #2

This was the best show for me. Even though I was stuck in the very back row of the balcony section – literally the wall was behind me – and it was hotter than fuck up there, and we could barely hear the band sometimes the sound was so muddy, I had more fun than ever!

I was with my friend Heidster who is a “casual” Bowie fan, although she sang along with almost every song. We had such fun dancing and singing along and basically basking in the majesty that is Bowie.

He seemed jollier and more comfortable than ever. The set list was full of surprises. He did so many new songs early on in the show. I was surprised he would challenge the audience so much like that. But the crowd seemed to stay with him. It was really a wonderful vibe in the house. I was a long way from the crushing masses up front so I can’t vouch for that scene, but up in the nosebleeds people were having a great time!

Bowie had a lot of great moments vocally, and with his stage movements. At one point (what song was it?) he knelt down at Gerry’s feet during the closing guitar riff. It was magical. DB was full of surprises tonight. With bar stool slung over his shoulder, he introduced “Days” as the first song he’d written specifically for furniture. LOL He also told some great stories about how crazy the Las Vegas scene was and he gave a lengthy and touching introduction to the brilliant “Slip Away.” My friend Heidster grew up in Jersey so she knew Uncle Floyd from TV. She freaked out when she saw the video footage from the old TV show, and the sing-along is consistently one of the best moments of the show, I think. Such a warm touch!

Being way up high, I had a different perspective of the performance and since this was my fourth show this week, I knew what to look for at certain times. It was interesting to see how carefully the lights are designed to accent the music on stage. For example, during “Fame” the lights give a bright flash or bump every time the chorus sings “Fame.” This gives almost the effect of flash bulbs going off as if one were on the red carpet in front of paparazzi.

I was a little disappointed but mostly surprised that he didn’t do “All The Young Dudes” since he’s done that every show so far, but it was nice to hear obscure numbers like “Fantastic Voyage” and “Battle For Britain” again. Heidster kept calling for “Changes”, which he never did. I didn’t think he was doing that one on this tour, but I just saw that it was included on the Vegas set list so that’s even more depressing!

He’s had so many great songs over the years; it would be impossible for him to do all the favorites, though I probably wouldn’t complain if he took the time to do every last one of them!! He is such a pro on stage. One needn’t be a Bowie fan at all to see what an entertaining show he presents. The music, the lighting, the imaginative use of video – Mr. Bowie is still on the cutting edge. I can’t wait to see him again!!

“There’s old wave. There’s new wave. And there’s David Bowie.”

No comments: