Saturday, December 23, 2006

Gordon DeBroder

I lost a dear friend this week. Dr. Gordon DeBroder was my music teacher and voice coach after high school and during college. He became a close family friend until his death on Monday after a long illness.

Gordon was a real character. I've never met anyone quite like him. He was vastly intelligent, extremely well educated (he held Master's degrees in Music and Psychology, and a PhD in Mathematics), was wickedly funny, and generous to a fault. Gordon must have given thousands of dollars over the years to friends in need. He was extremely kind-hearted.

I learned so much from Gordon, not only about music but about life as well. He was quite a mentor to me at a time when my family was breaking up and I really needed some guidance. I could always depend on Gordon for a sympathetic ear and a warm meal. We drank a few gallons of wine over the years as well!

Gordon DeBroder had friends and colleagues all over the world. Although he ran a humble piano and voice studio from his home, he was a world-class pianist who counted the great Van Cliburn among his closest associates. Gordon was always proud to receive a gift basket from Mr. Cliburn every Christmas.


Dr. DeBroder and his friend Van Cliburn

A teacher for many years, Gordon ran into to friends and former students in the oddest places. He told me many stories of traveling in Europe when he would be getting out of an elevator and suddenly an old student happened to be standing right in front of him. No matter where he went, somebody always knew him.

He also taught generations of families. It was not unusual for his younger students to grow up, start families, and have their children also take lessons from Gordon.

Gordon was a devout Christian and was deeply involved in his church. He often taught his music students on "scholarship" if they would sing in his church choir. I was one of those "scholarship" students and he never charged me a dime for all the lessons he gave me. It broke his heart when his church took away his work as Music Minister after 40 years of service. They wanted someone younger to fill his shoes. Good luck with that, you morons!

Goodbye, Gordon. Everyone who ever knew you, loved you. You will always be missed, but never forgotten.

Denver Post Obituary

No comments: