Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Shine On You Crazy Diamond


Painting by George Underwood

Syd Barrett, founding member of the rock band Pink Floyd has died at age 60.

CNN story

Barrett wrote and performed the band's early psychedelic hits in England, including "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play." However, due to mental illness and drug use, Barrett left the band in 1968, replaced by David Gilmour who stayed with the band through their rich 1970s period, including the albums Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

One Barrett fan, who was highly influenced by him, was rock star David Bowie. Here's is what Bowie had to say today:

"I can't tell you how sad I feel. Syd was a major inspiration for me. The few times I saw him perform in London at UFO and the Marquee clubs during the sixties will forever be etched in my mind. He was so charismatic and such a startlingly original songwriter.

Also, along with Anthony Newley, he was the first guy I'd heard to sing pop or rock with a British accent. His impact on my thinking was enormous. A major regret is that I never got to know him. A diamond indeed." - David Bowie, July 11th 2006

No comments: