Monday, January 30, 2006

I Got Robbed

It's no joke. My apartment was broken into today. Not to quote the Beatles, but they came in through the bathroom window -- cut right through the screen with a sharp blade of some kind.

Fortunately, they didn’t get away with anything of significant value. They took only a handful of things like spare change and a few things that are probably easy to exchange for cash. Based on the circumstances, I would guess the person is homeless.

The items missing include:
-- a collectible silver dollar my Dad gave me for Christmas. It was in my desk drawer (they left the case)

-- a huge amount of loose change that I deposit daily into a giant plastic cup on my kitchen counter (they left the cup and took only the change! )

-- a blue knit cap that was hanging on my closet door (they left the scarf and sweater which were also hanging there)

-- something from the closet (I can see the circular dust ring where it sat, but I can't recall yet what I put there.)

-- a bowl's worth of pot stashed in my bathroom drawer (they left the pipe, screens, and lighter)

-- Worst of all, they took my guitar and its gig bag (carrying case). However, they were kind enough to remove my music book and from the gig bag and throw it on the floor before they left.

Strangely, the thief left something behind. I found a dirty sock, not one of mine, sitting crumpled up on my bed. No idea what that's about.

Here’s the irony of the whole situation: my front door was completely unlocked since I was expecting the plumbers to arrive to clear out a clogged drain. The plumber was actually working in my apartment when I arrived home and noticed some things missing. After interviewing the plumber, I don’t think he had anything to do with the robbery.

What a day, huh? Because of the clogged drains, I haven't been able to use the toilet or take a shower for two days. And I thought it was bad enough to have raw sewage backing up into my shower and bath tub, but to get robbed on the same day.... Talk about adding insult to injury!

So lock your doors and windows, kids. Although my neighborhood is generally very safe, we are clearly vulnerable to theft at any time.

1 comment:

stennie said...

Ohhhh, DUDE. I am just heartbroken about your guitar! Not as heartbroken as you are, I'm sure. For Friday I was going to suggest the Kurosawa double feature at the Egyptian, but instead maybe we should go guitar shopping? You can have my gig bag. Won't do you any good without something to put in it though.

*Sniff* That sucks, dude. I'm sorry.