Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Shapes of Things to Come

I'm glad I got to visit New Orleans when I did. The city will never be the same. In fact, it may eventually be abandoned all together as uninhabitable.

Unfortunately the recent Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans and other Gulf cities is merely the beginning of the end for low-lying areas around the world. Not everyone agrees, but many scientists speculate that as global warming continues, more cities will be consumed by the oceans and those areas in the hurricane zone will be the first to go since the rate (and power) of hurricanes and other weather-related disasters is expected to increase dramatically in the coming decades.

Perhaps New Orleans, already below sea level, will become like the mythical city of Atlantis, which was allegedly consumed by the sea.

1 comment:

stennie said...

I always wanted to go to New Orleans. I wish I'd done it when I had the chance.